Skip to main content
- From the what-did-you-think-was-going-to-happen department: Microsoft pulls plug after chat robot slings slurs, rips Obama and denies Holocaust. Some of the 4chan discussions of it are actually somewhat entertaining but not sufficiently so that I'll send you there.
- ...same department: if you give people a limited internet they will use it to share files.
- There are too many weird things in this Nature article on CRISPR to choose from. Tiny pigs with designer coats! Cows that only have male offspring! Furry elephants! Do it yourself!
- Speaking of crazy far-future bioengineering, I was wondering recently what Craig Venter was up to and lo and behold, an answer appeared: whittling down the minimal set of genes a cell needs to live
- The problem with the ocean floor has always been not enough strip mining, am I right?
- Champagne...machine gun?
- We need a word for reverse-gamification: using video games as inspiration for a real-world capsule docking system.
The most primordial part of Pluto’s surface may be a hemisphere-spanning splash of red called Cthulhu Regio, a region so thoroughly pulverized by craters it is thought to be some four billion years old.
- I've started to track my personal finances with Beancount, here's a nice article on why that's a super cool idea
- What are the odds there's a counterpoint story in a few years about how this was a huge mistake and the models broke almost immediately: London's Crossrail 3d models all the things.
- I'm outright stealing this joke from Ed Young: Statisticians issue warning over p-values. But is it significant?.
Mutation testing in Rust.
Simulating the internet backbone.
- Hmm, yeah I guess djb did write all the good crypto algorithms. If he's working for the NSA I give up.