There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.
This too shall pass.
Despite that, I'm not finding trolling the internet for news that much fun right now so expect fewer, shorter Weirds.
- "Brain implants allow paralysed monkeys to walk".
- "Solid metallic hydrogen has been produced in the laboratory". This is a huge deal, since "[i]f metallic hydrogen is a metastable substance ... then it would be the most powerful chemical rocket propellant in existence." Oh and it might be a room temperature superconductor too, nbd.
- A very long series of posts on discount cash flow models by Aswath Damodaran, a Professor of Finance at the Stern School of Business at NYU: 1, 2, 3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5. (Via Matt Levine)
- Actually Using Iron (the rust web server thing). Read to the end.
- Editor Porn.
- If you're worried about radiation flipping bits in your microcontroller, why not just put 4 of them on the same fpga that run in lockstep and can rebuild themselves if they go wrong?
- Note, I wrote these two descriptions on Nov 7th and really don't have the heart to try to figure out what to change right now.